Breaking news Malaysia: Personally, I agree with DAP Bukit Bintang parliamentarian Fong Kui Lun that the statements from MCA president Chua Soi Lek, Public Land Transportation Commission (SPAD) chairperson Syed Hamid Albar and Minister in Prime Minister’s Department Idris Jala are contradicting and confusing.
On August, 24th, The Star loudly reported that the 31 shophouses along Jalan Sultan near Petaling Street KL or Chinatown KL would not be torn down as said by Chua Soi Lek on its front Nation section. It even included a video clip featuring Chua Soi Lek (no, not that notorious hotel video clip!) talking to the press on its online paper.
Dr Chua said all parties managed to reach an understanding and agreement in the meeting.
The Government will proceed with the acquisition (of the land underneath the Jalan Sultan area) but on the condition that it would strengthen the buildings affected by the construction of the MRT tunnel, for the safety of the buildings’ occupants.
Just last Sunday in the Sunday Star, Chua Soi Lek said that it had been agreed that the land on which 31 pieces of property were sited had to be acquired for the tunnelling work of the My Rapid Transit (MRT) project.
He added that there is a need for land acquisition so that the Government will not be accused of encroachment during the tunneling process because the land below these buildings still belongs to their owners.
Then today (30th August 2011), MCA-owned The Star features an article which is deeply buried somewhere in the Star Metro section, says that Jalan Sultan traders are confused over the status of their land.
No further comment or video clip from MCA president Datuk Seri Chua Soi Lek.