Find out how to activate Maybank debit card for online payment.
If you do not activate or enable your Maybank debit card, you would not be able to do any online transaction right away.
This was what I found out way back in year 2016.
At that time, I had to renew one of my domain names at GoDaddy.
Back in 2015, I started using my Maybank debit card to pay for the blog domain names.
Before that I was using the service of PayPal.
At that time for Malaysia to pay in Malaysian Ringgit (MYR), GoDaddy only accepts Visa and Master credit/debit cards and also China UnionPay card.
After I clicked on the orange color “Place Your Order” button, the payment process could not get through.
I knew my Maybank debit card was in order and should not have any problem using it to pay my domain fee.
Instead I saw a bright red banner with the remark:
“There was a problem processing your transaction. Please verify your payment information or use an alternate form of payment.”
Then I called up GoDaddy Kuala Lumpur support line (03-6207 4694).
I was told that the problem was with my card and he asked me to check with Maybank.
I called up Maybank and I found out that beginning this year (2016), all Debit and Prepaid cards have been disabled for E‐Commerce/Mail Order telephone Order transactions.
What it means that, all payment transactions through online or when the card is not physically present will not be allowed.
The reason Maybank did this is because to prevent cardholders from becoming victims of e-banking, direct debit and card fraud.
I called up 1-300 88 6688 and get the Maybank staff to activate my debit card.
About ten minutes after activating my card, I could use it to pay for my domain fee or any online transaction.
So, the solution is I need to activate my debit card.
Anyway, now let’s find out how to activate Maybank debit card online for international use.
How To Activate Maybank Debit Card Online
There are two ways to activate your debit card:
1. Via Maybank2U Website
2. Via Automated Teller Machine (ATM)
This tutorial I only show you how to activate Maybank debit card online:
1. Log into Maybank2U. (new design/interface)
2. Click on the ‘portrait icon‘ at the top right-hand corner (next to CONTACT US).
3. Now you can see ‘SETTINGS‘ on the top right-hand corner of the page. Click on it.
4. Then click ‘CARDS‘ which on top of the page.
5. On the left side of the page, you should see ‘Manage Debit Card‘ in the yellow box.
6. Next to it, you can see a box with the options for you to set: Purchase Limit & Overseas Debit Card Activation.
7. For Purchase Limit, type in the amount and then click ‘Save‘.
8. For Overseas Debit Card Activation, click on the the word and it will drop down a sub-menu.
9. Under the ‘CARD DETAILS‘, you can see the status of your debit card is set as “Disable‘.
10. To enable it, you click on toggle-switch or slider-switch next to ‘Disable‘.
11. A box slides down.
12. To activate the Overseas Debit Card Activation, you need to set the date next to ‘Effective Date‘.
13. Then click on the green color ‘ACTIVATE‘ button.
14. Instantly a yellow color horizontal strip appears at the bottom of the page for you to get the TAC number.
15. To do that, click on the green color ‘REQUEST‘ button.
16. You will receive your TAC number on your cellphone.
17. Now type in the TAC number in the empty space provided.
18. Finally click on the ‘CONFIRM‘ button next to your TAC number which you have just typed in.
19. Now you should see the green color in the toggle-switch next to the word ‘ENABLE‘.
20. That’s all.
You have successfully activated or enabled your debit card for overseas online purchase now.